Reporters- 15/10/2017

Features Reporters

Few weeks ago, Red Bull announced that they are extending the teams relationship with Aston Martin. As speculation mounts that Renault, could drop Red Bull could, Aston be an engine supplier?   

Red Bull increase partnership with Aston Martin

Red Bull announced on Monday that the luxury car brand Aston Martin will become Aston Martin Red Bull Racing from 2018.

As part of the deal between the Austrian team and the German sports car company a new ‘Advanced Performance Centre’ will be housed at Red Bull’s Milton Keynes HQ, consisting of 110 Aston Martin design and engineering staff.

Aston and Red Bull have been working together since the beginning of 2016. Next season the team will be supplied by Renault, however, it is widely understood that the French manufacturer has told Red Bull that they will cease to be their partners from the end of next season and confirmation of Red Bull’s deepening ties with Aston Martin will only increase speculation.

Earlier this month, Aston CEO Andy Palmer said “The power unit discussions in Formula 1 are of interest to us, but only if the circumstances are right.”

“We are not about to enter an engine war with no restrictions in cost or dynamometer hours but we believe that if the FIA can create the right environment, we would be interested in getting involved.”

In Singapore Red Bull boss, Christian Horner said that only one of the sport’s four current power providers could be the team’s engine suppliers in 2019 and 2020. However, Aston would not enter the sport until 2021 it is understood.

If Renault did withdraw engine supply from Red Bull from 2019, it would force them into a deal most likely with Honda who would be supplying Toro Rosso.

 

Renault grabbed the headlines in Malaysia as they announced the potentially signing the FIA’s former technical chief Marcin Budkowski. But this has kicked up a row as rival teams fear that his privileged information about what other teams are doing, could give them an unfair advantage, meaning Renault has gone on the offensive

Renault defends Budkowski signing 

Renault are not in Formula One “to make friends” as the row continues about the team potentially signing the FIA’s former technical chief Marcin Budkowski.

The French manufacturer has been heavily criticised after they got held of Budkowski as he has privileged information about what other teams are doing.

Although Renault have not confirmed his signing, team boss Cyril Abiteboul made it clear that Renault needed to go on the offensive to grab the staff it needs if it wants be world champion over the next few years.

Abiteboul told Sky Sports “We want to be one of the top teams by 2020. It is at one time far away, but given we know what needs to be done.”

“If you look at the one-second – 1.5-second gap between the midfield and the top teams, it is a big jump and that is why we need to be aggressive in what we do to be there by 2020.” He says there are ways you do things and the team does in terms of recruitment.

Despite the controversy, Abiteboul insists his team will not do anything that could breach the rules nor rival teams’ IP rights. “Renault has a very clear track record of being extremely fair and loyal,” added Abiteboul.

“So whatever we will do, we will make sure that it is done in a very loyal way and a very fair way to our competitors.”

 

Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg’s crash in last years Spanish Grand Prix grabbed the headlines. But how close did  Mercedes come to dismissing both drivers?

We threatened to sack Hamilton and Rosberg – Lauda

Mercedes non-executive director and three times champion, Niki Lauda says the German manufacturer threaten to sack both Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg if there was a repeat of the first lap collision in last season’s Spanish Grand Prix.

The Mercedes duo crashed out at Turn Four on the opening lap, after Rosberg pushed Hamilton onto the grass as he tried to make a move on him. The accident was a flash point in the fractious relationship between the pair and Lauda said the incident prompted Mercedes to install new rules of engagement.

In a YouTube interview with Graham Bensinger, Lauda said “We put some regulations in, we told them – especially in Barcelona when they pushed each other off the track – we said this was unacceptable for Mercedes.”

“We had some rules put in, that you are not allowed to and you have to pay a penalty if you do it again or we will think of releasing you from your contract, because we are team players here and we cannot destroy each other.”

Speaking about the debrief, he said Hamilton wasn’t happy because “I said right away if I have to choose between the two it’s more Lewis’ fault than Nico’s fault.”

“Lewis did not appreciate that, because he was of a different opinion. He said, ‘Why do you criticise me?’ I said, ‘Excuse me. I cannot accept that you guys crash and then we have nothing and nobody’s fault. For me it has to be somebody’s fault.’

The two childhood friends relationship had broken down by then and Lauda said that had more of an effect on Hamilton rather than Rosberg

 

James Allison has worked with both of this year’s title contenders. But, what does he say it’s like working with Lewis Hamilton?

Allison on working with Hamilton

James Allison says that working alongside Lewis Hamilton has been one of the best things about moving to Mercedes. Allison joined Mercedes to take over many of the responsibilities from former technical boss Paddy Lowe.

The Englishman is highly regarded as an engineer, he has spent two stints at Ferrari as well as Renault when the team won titles with Fernando Alonso in 2005 and 2006. His move to Mercedes has coincided with an intense battle with Ferrari but says working with Hamilton has been a highlight.

He told ESPN “It has been a considerable pleasure joining Mercedes this year for many, many reasons but one of those was that it was my first opportunity to start working alongside Lewis.”

“I think I’d only ever said hello to him once in all the years prior to that and the experience of working with him is very different to what I imagined it would be.

 

Malaysia held it’s final race earlier this month. Jack Fielding rounded up the last two decades

Goodbye Malaysia

Well after nineteen years, around 1,041 laps and eleven different winners its goodbye to Sepang. Over the last two decades, this race has been run in all kinds of conditions. There have been seven different constructors winning here, two very wet races. Moments of brilliance, controversy, and drama, thank you and hopeful we will return in the future.

 

Kevin Magnussen has been in the spotlight recently because of his driving style. But despite Fernando Alonso being the latest driver to attack his style of driving he still says he has no plans to change his style, but why? 

Magnussen not planning to change driving style

Kevin Magnussen says that he has no plans to change his driving style despite the criticism from other drivers. Fernando Alonso has been the latest driver to criticise his driving style after they made contact in Sepang.

The two made contact as the Spaniard tried to pass him through Turns One and Two at last week’s Malaysian Grand Prix.  The Spaniard also said “Hulkenberg is right”, in reference to the spat between Nico Hulkenberg and Magnussen at the Hungarian GP, and “For his driving, we more or less agree with the other drivers, it’s 19-1.”

But the Dane is insisting that he needs to be aggressive to secure points for Haas in the midfield fight, and he would not change his approach until the stewards are giving it the all clear. Magnussen told the media “I expect anyone to make it as hard as possible. Everyone is maxed out on trying to make it as hard as possible for each other.

“What matters to me is what the stewards think. I know that I’m pushing hard and that’s my intention. If it’s fine for the stewards then it’s fine. It’s pretty simple. We are not in a position to just drive into the points.” Magnussen says that Haas needs to fight hard to stay in the points.

“often find myself further up at the beginning of the race because when everyone is together it’s easier to make positions and fight your way up. But once everything settles, your race pace is more important and sometimes when you are in eighth and are not fast.” He added.

 

Mexico’s earthquake last month has killed 369 people and injured many more, as the country rebuilds following the quake, could this give the country a boost. Also, how is Sergio Perez trying to help the victims

A moment of happiness for Mexico

Sergio Perez says that next month’s Mexican Grand Prix can give the country a “moment of happiness” as it struggles to recover from its deadliest earthquake in three decades.

Last week the country as hit by a 7.1 magnitude quake killing 337 people. Speaking ahead of this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix the Mexican said the race would help lift the gloom a little. “It will give a lot of energy, having the grand prix in Mexico. I think it’s good for the people to have a distraction, to have a moment of happiness.”

Organisers of the race have already confirmed that the Autodromo Hermanos Rodrigues has not had any damage and race preparations where continuing as normal.

Pérez has returned home to his home town of Guadalajara after the last race in Singapore, has started a fundraising campaign for relief efforts. Already his campaign to raised money for the victims has rasied £368,165.

For every peso donated another five will be added by Perez’s sponsors. Speaking about this weekends race, Perez says he wants to deliver a strong result on Sunday.

 

That’s all from this edition of  Reporters, goodbye.

Jack

Jack is responsible for the day-to-day running of Formula One Vault. He brings you all the brilliant content. Has an obsession with all things Formula One and anything with an engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.