In a special edition of Reporters this week we look at the legal court room drama between Sauber and Giedo van der Garde who claims he was unfairly dismissed but who is right
Awaiting Judgement –
The case brought by former Sauber driver Giedo van der Garde against the team has been heard in a Melbourne court. The 29-year old claims the team promised him a seat for this season.
But Sauber have chosen Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr to be there race drivers for this season. He says the team went back on a promise to give him a race seat for 2015. A Swiss arbitration tribunal had ordered the team to refrain from taking action to deprive Van der Garde from taking part in the 2015 season.
The judgement will be given on Wednesday morning (Tuesday at 23:00GMT) on whether he was unfairly dismissed.
Well Sauber lost the appeal but what did it mean for the team? Could the team boss be jailed?
Sauber lose appeal
Saubers appeal against the unfair dismissal case which ruled that Giedo van der Garde was unfairly dismissed has failed.
The ruling means the 29-year old should race for the team this season. This means the team may have to drop Marcus Ericsson or Felipe Nasr. Van der Garde has also launched a contempt of court application to force Sauber to comply with the order.
Failure to comply means all the teams assets could be sized from the team. The case will be heard hours before the start of first practice. But Sauber say it would be unsafe to allow him to race saying “we cannot do is jeopardise the safety of our team, or any other driver on the track, by having an unprepared driver in a car that has now been tailored to two other assigned drivers.”
But s Jenson Button criticised Sauber for taking such a view. Saying “safety is always a concern in motorsport and we shouldn’t be throwing it around lightly. Personally, him driving the car is not a safety issue. I think it is unfair to use that against Giedo.”
Sauber’s appeal was thrown out with the judge urging a solution to be found by negotiation
Sauber and Giedo van der Garde urged to find a solution
The case brought by Giedo van der Garde against Sauber has been adjourned by a Melbourne judge. The judge urged both parties to try and work out a solution ahead third practice.
Earlier this week, Monisha Kalterbourn Team Principal was told she could face arrest and prison if she failed to allow Van der Garde to race this weekend. The judge Supreme Court Justice Clyde Croft said “I do wish the parties to talk seriously about resolving this matter by agreement.”
Van der Garde’s legal team told reporters “constructive discussions between the parties which are expected to continue this evening” while Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn would not comment on the case.
Sauber did not take part in the first practice session today t did take part in the second, with Magnus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr. Katenborn says that the issue had distracted the team from there preparations for the race.
Ms Kaltenborn is a lawyer, who took over as Sauber principal in 2012, becoming the first female team boss in Formula One history. She says she will not stand down.
He is regarded as the best driver now for almost £7 million you could own his home
Senna home for £7 million
The former home of three times world champion Ayrton Senna has gone on the market for nearly £7 million.
The villa which Senna designed has six bedrooms, seven bathrooms, a home cinema and a games den. It is belived that when he died in 1994 that his former girlfriend, the model Adriane Galisteu. Following his death the street was renamed Avenida Ayrton Senna.
The villa contains a swimming pool, opened planned living area, three bedrooms and garden. Plus a flood lit football pitch, children’s climbing frame, inset trampoline, a four hole putting green.
That’s all from Reporters for this week