Reporters – 13/03/2016

Reporters

Berine Ecclestone has been at the centre as ringmaster since the 1970’s with him now in his late 80’s how is the sport preparing for his departure and crisis in the sport

Life after Berine

The Telegraph newspaper say the understand that board of directors will be told to prepare for life after Bernie Ecclestone in a landmark report on the crisis-ridden sport presented on Tuesday.

They say the board of the parent company Delta Topca was shown a dossier about the current state of F1. The newspaper says the report written by Jean-Marc Huet will address the sport’s stalling profitability, worrying lack of sponsorship revenue as well as key personnel, including succession planning after Ecclestone.

Ecclestone was criticised last week after saying he would not spend his own money on watching Formula One because it was the worst it has ever been. Donald Mackenzine is a huge admirer of the 84 year old however he threatened to sack him if he was convicted of bribery and corruption in 2014.

After the case Mackenzie wanted to bring in Paul Walsh, the former boss of Diageo to help run the sport but was blocked by Ecclestone.

But Ecclestone said last night “At the last board meeting we said somebody should have a look, and see if we’re doing things right, and if we want to make some changes.”

 

Is the sport missing a chance for radical change in 2017? Christian Horner says the changes will sort the men from the boys but they haven’t gone far enough

Missed opportunity – Horner

Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner believes the sport is missing a opportunity to sort the men from the boys with the 2017 regulations. Horner was egger to back the changes which could allow cars to go six seconds faster.

The changes will be voted on by the World Motor Sport Council in Geneva on Friday, the plans to be put in place by April 30. These could improve cars by up to four seconds a lap.

Speaking to Autosport Horner said there are a few things to tidy up. “From a sport point of view, to come up with a car that is a real challenge for the drivers, that sorts the men out from the boys, to see them earning their money, is something truly spectacular, is something everybody wants to see.

He added “The initial concept was tabled a year and a half ago by us to be more aggressive with the cars, to go back to basics with what a grand prix car should look like.”

 

A new format for qualifying will be introduced in Melbourne but is it too early to judge it?

Judge qualifying format after Melbourne

Claire Williams has called on those who dislike the new qualifying format to wait until after the Australian Grand Prix to reserve judgement. A new system which will see drivers knocked out at a series of time intervals has been brought to make the sport more unpredictable.

Ferraris Sebastian Vettel has said “I’m not a fan of the qualifying changes and speaking on behalf of all the drivers, no driver is.”

Ms Williams said “Let’s wait and see. It’s too early to judge. I’d like to get to Melbourne and see how it plays out and then we will comment on it. If it doesn’t work then fine. We tried. All we are trying to do is make this sport more exciting, which is what everyone wants.”

She added that the majority of the influential drivers are in favour. However, there were reports that there could be a delay in introducing it because software needed to be rewritten, but that problem has now been overcome.

Also there was suggestions that Q1 and Q2 adopting the knockout configuration while Q3 retained the previous system but the world motorsport council (WMSC) voted for the full knock out system.

Jack

Jack is responsible for the day-to-day running of Formula One Vault. He brings you all the brilliant content. Has an obsession with all things Formula One and anything with an engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.