McLaren has officially confirmed Jenson Button will return to Formula One for the Monaco Grand Prix. Button will replace Fernando Alonso who announced on Wednesday he would be competing at next month’s Indianapolis 500.
Last autumn, Button signed a two-year deal which means he could be drafted back in as cover if one of the team’s race drivers was absent. Button told the press “I’m thrilled to be making a one-off return. I couldn’t think of a better place to make that return than my adopted home grand prix – Monaco.”
The 2009 world champion has spent the winter in California training for Ironman triathlons, his long-time passion.
Speaking about his winter he said “I’m supremely fit, having done a lot of triathlon training recently, so I have no worries on that score. And it’ll be nice to say ‘hi’ to all my old Formula 1 mates too, and hopefully to give the fans something to cheer about.”
Button says he is looking forward to the unique challenge of Monaco and will be doing simulator work to help him prepare for the challenge.
Button who will move up to 306th race start on 28th May will equal Michael Schumacher in number of race starts.
The Englishman has spent the winter competing in triathlons and earlier this month came first in his age group at the Ironman 70.3 event, only to be disqualified for cycling too fast through a reduced-speed zone.
Mclaren’s racing director Eric Boullier said: “I was truly delighted when Jenson accepted our suggestion that he race at Monaco instead of Fernando.
“Jenson is a class act. He’s a superb driver – fast, smooth and precise – and he won’t have lost any of his competitive edge over the past few months