F1 Today: 31/03/2015

F1 Today

£27m a year – Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton says he expects to sign a new contract with Mercedes later this week. The 30-year old said last Tuesday that he expected the deal to be done last week.

He told BBC News “It should be done this week. There is no reason it shouldn’t. Honestly, it’s 99.6% done. There’s no negotiating left, it’s just legal stuff.” The new deal is expected to have a basic salary of £20.9M with generous bonuses which could leave him as the sport’s top earner.

The deal will put him  in line with the two other  big earners and multiple champions, McLaren’s Fernando Alonso and Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel. Vettel is expected to earn £33.7 million one off in 2015 before a basic salary of £20.4 million post 2015.

 

Election 2015: Plans for reform of racing tracks

The British government has got primary legislation through just before the dissolution of parliament to make it easier to create motor-racing circuits on public roads.

The bill was granted Royal Assent on Thursday 26th March. However, the secondary legislation required is expected to have to wait until after the General Election in May.

Currently to hold a race on public roads a act of parliament is required but there has been a campaign headed by the Motor Sports Association (MSA) and Auto-Cycle Union (ACU).

 

Woman F1 Series

Formula One boss Berine Ecclestone has caused controversy after made a proposal to set up a F1 championship just for woman to run alongside the current series.

Ecclestone is no stranger to controversy after he once compared women to kitchen appliances. In recent years woman have taken up test roles with teams including Susie Wolff who is development driver at Williams and last year became the first female to take part in a grand prix weekend in 22 years and Carmen Jorda at Louts.

Ms Wolff told the Mirror “It’s most definitely not the right way forward,” she told the Daily Mirror. First of all, I don’t know where you’d find a full grid of female drivers who are good enough. Secondly, I have raced my whole career in motorsport as a normal competitor. Why would I ever look for a race where I was only competing against women?

 

Mercedes inquest

Mercedes are to rush through upgrades after losing their enormous advantage at the Malaysian Grand Prix. The race was   their first defeat for nine races.

The inquest into why Mercedes lost out to Ferrari has already begun with a report due within days to Toto Wolff head of Mercedes motorsport. But already things like the team’s strategy calls and poor radio communications will already be under the microscope.

Wolff told the Telegraph “we need to increase the pace of our development. We have everything we need. We feel confident in the resources we have, and that we are well placed. We just need to stay calm.”

 

Montagny banned

Formula E and former Formula One driver Franck Montagny has been given a two year ban after failing a drug test during the 2014 Malaysia ePrix.

Montagny plead guilty and said he did not ask for the B sample to be tested. He took part in seven F1 races in 2006 with the Super Aguri team and can appeal FIA’s decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

He raced Andretti Formula E team in the first two Formula E races of the 2014-15 season and finished second in the inaugural race in Beijing

Jack

Jack is responsible for the day-to-day running of Formula One Vault. He brings you all the brilliant content. Has an obsession with all things Formula One and anything with an engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.