Magnussen speaks of McLaren drop
Kevin Magnussen has admitted to Sky Sports that it was extremely tough to take when McLaren dropped him in 2014 and replaced him with Fernando Alonso. But says he is so grateful to be in a “better place” in Formula 1 with Renault.
The Dane was dropped after Alonso returned to the team last season and then in the middle of the season was replaced as McLaren’s reserve driver. This season he join the French manufacture Renault. “Getting back to Formula 1 was my absolute goal. Now I’m here with a team whose ambitions are to win a world championship. I couldn’t be in a better place.” He said.
Speaking about the experience the Dane said it has made him stronger saying”It was tough losing the seat and nearly losing hope. Well, not losing hope but I’m not stupid, I knew that this was going to be difficult.”
Magnussen admits he is very fortunate that he managed to get another seat in Formula One and he appreciates the racing “ so much more because I nearly lost it.”
He says he and Jenson Button knew mid-0season that Alonso was going to join the team. Adding “ That makes it tough, especially when you’re up against a world champion with 15 years of experience and you’re completely new.
“The speed was there and it showed I’m a fast driver up against Jenson. That gave me a lot of confidence. I’m in a better place now, both mentally and in the team itself.”
We must have a current spec next year
The team principal of Toro Rosso Franz Tost says the Italian team must secure a latest-specification Formula 1 power unit for next year. This season the team were left without a engine after Red Bull requesting to end their deals with Renault at the end of 2015, and then being left without a power supply.
This means the team was unable to get a deal for a 2016 spec unit only managing to secure a 2015 Ferrari spec power unit. But tost said he believes that Toro Rosso is in a better position to get a deal sorted.
He told Autosport “We have to get the same specification. Because of last year’s late decision, we were in the corner and we had to take what was offered to us.
“This year, we’re in different situation. We want the same spec next year.” A manufacturer can request to supply a previously homologated engine providing it can prove to the FIA the power unit can “fairly and equitably be allowed to compete with the other homologated power units”.
Toro Rosso will be aware that they had until the Spanish Grand Prix to inform the FIA if they had a supplier if they don’t the FIA will move to find a solution before the next deadline of June 1.
A ballot will be organised to arrange a supply if no agreement is made by that deadline.
Tost said he was pleased with the performance of the year-old Ferrari power unit so far this season despite disappointing result.
Haas Ferrari tie up a double edge sword
The chief designer for Haas Rob Taylor says that the teams partnership with Ferrari can be a “double-edged sword”. The US team has a engine and has brought as many parts as the regulations allow.
While that has saved costs and man hours for the American team it means Haas has limited time to understand the parts and integrate them into its own plans for the VF-16. Talyor told ESPN that this creates a headache in design for the team.
“We absorb a lot of information from Ferrari but they only give it to us when they know it so all the parts we purchase, we don’t really have a good visibility of them ahead of time.”
“Normally you’ve got some idea of the concept you’re going to be employing before you ever get to the full-blown design.” Taylor said on the other hand you don’t see some parts until there quite well thought out.
“Our biggest anxiety isn’t to do with ‘Will it fit when it’s finished and installed?’ It’s ‘Can you get it in there? Can you get your pinkies in?’ The little bit of the front rocker for instance is a bit of a tortuous route.” He added.
Grosjean’s tribute to Jules
Romain Grosjean has unveiled a new helmet featuring image of Jules Bianchi who scored Marussia’s only points in Formula One in Monaco in 2014. Bianchi passed away in July last year after suffering head injuries at 2014’s race in Japan.
“Monaco is special to me because it’s kind of my home race,” the Haas driver told F1.com
“We’re beside France and there’s always a lot of people, a lot of fans. It is, of course, special because of all the glamour because it is Monaco. Everyone knows Monaco and everyone wants to be in Monaco.
“It’s a very challenging track and a very long weekend with lots of demands, but at the end of the day it’s a very nice show.”
Football kicks off
As this edition is published F1 drivers Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa, Kevin Magnussen, Stoffel Vandoorne & Daniel Ricciardo are the main players in the annual charity game at the Stade Louis II in Monaco.
The will take on a All Star team made up of David Ginola, Novak Djokovic, Jonny Wilkinson, Max Biaggi, Prince Albert II & Loris Capirossi.
All proceeds going to the ‘A.S. Star Team for the children’ foundation, which helps underprivileged children around the world.
Kick-off is at 19:00 BST.