No entry says Audi
Audi says it has no plans to enter Formula One has speculation continues to rise about the German car manufacturer entering the sport. There had been high hopes after the departure of Volkswagen’s Chairman Ferdinand Piech who was believed to be the main blocker to them entering F1.
A spokesman said that F1 is “not a topic” for us. According to the German Newspaper Handelsblatt, Audi’s Chief Executive Rupert Stadler had ruled out an entry into Formula One after speculation of a partnership with former champions Red Bull.
However last week Stadler told Auto Express that Formula One was an option saying “in life you must keep things open” in response to a question about the sport.
Refuelling depends on cost – Wolff
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says that the plan for the return of refuelling in 2017 will only happen if it is affordable. The proposal was announced by the sport’s governing body the FIA on Friday.
Questions have been asked already about the cost for teams as the smaller teams continue to struggle financially. Wolff told BBC News “Refuelling was banned because of cost and because the pit stops were taking too long.”.
“But we want to re-explore it and see if we can make pit stops for fuel and tyres happen in the same time it takes to change the tyres now — two to three seconds”. The man cost of the reintroduction will be the cost of transporting heavy equipment around the world and the extra personnel required to handle it.
There are also safety considerations in pumping fuel into cars in a crowded pit lane in a matter of seconds, with the risk of flare-ups.
Honda can deliver
Mercedes Engine boss Andy Cowell has told the BBC that Honda will deliver a race winning engine next season. Honda has had a difficult return to Formula One not managing to score a point this season.
The team are targeting race wins in 2016 and the title with Fernando Alonso, who has a deal until 2017. Jenson Button showed that they were making progress after making it into Q2 in Spain.
He said “The way they are going about it, Honda are formidable – in their approach, investment and determination.” Adding the Japanese manufacturer would not be affected by the engine token system this season like Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault because there are a new manufacture.
Meanwhile Honda says “Thirty-two was super-generous. Twenty-five is enough to change everything, to be honest. And I would say they have got a reliability challenge which doesn’t require any tokens [to fix].
Traction fix for Canada
Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene says that the Canadian Grand Prix will be a nightmare if the team cannot get on top of it traction problems. Last time out Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen were losing half a second to their Mercedes rivals in the tight third sector.
He told Autosport “If we are not able to solve the problem it can be worse not in Monaco – because in Monaco you have special settings – but in Canada. I don’t want to go to Canada with the same problem of traction otherwise it will be a nightmare.”
Arrivabenne says that the teams solution is good but isn’t good enough to close the gap to Mercedes.