F1 Today: 17/03/2015

F1 Today

Treating to quit

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko has warned that the team could pull out of F1 unless changes are made to the sport. Sunday’s opening race was described as boring by drivers.

He told the Daily Mail that if it was left unchecked it could drive other teams away and reduce interest in the sport. According to German media Marko reportedly said “We will evaluate the situation again as every year and look into costs and revenues. If we are totally dissatisfied we could contemplate an F1 exit. Yes, the danger is there that Mr Mateschitz loses his passion for F1.”

Over the weekend team principal Christian Horner said that the team “we were never winning with an advantage that Mercedes has, double diffusers were banned, exhausts were moved, flexible bodywork was banned, engine mapping was changed mid-season – anything was done to pull us back.”

 

Case settled

Dutch Media is reporting that the unfair dismissal case brought by Giedo van der Garde has been settled. They say that Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone stepped in and helped to end the van der Garde saga that found its way in and out of court last week.

According to the source  the team has paid the Dutch driver has received financial compensation. Worked out on the basis of van der Garde’s two contracted years at Sauber (2014 and 2015), as well as legal fees, Allowing in the 29-year-old driver to drop the case.

The source says that the Dutchman’s father-in-law may have taken shares in the team

 

Rosberg invites Vettel to debrief

Nico Rosberg has invited Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel to attend Mercedes’ Friday debrief at the Malaysian Grand Prix after a light-hearted exchange between the drivers over the weekend.

Rosberg tweeted today “Dear Seb, this is the official invitation to join our debrief Friday 16.00 at Sepang. See you there, don’t forget your notebook!”

He added “I think in the next couple of races we’re going to be leading the way for sure, and we’re going to try and keep it that way, but we know it would be good if they can come a bit closer, as long as they don’t come too close.”

Vettel jokingly suggested that Mercedes might like to open their garage to everyone in Malaysia.

 

Germany cancelled

There will be no German Grand Prix this year according Hockenheim circuit boss Georg Seiler. This ends months of uncertainty over the country’s Formula One race.

It is the first time in fifty five years that a Grand Prix hasn’t been held in the country. Seiler told Blid “We have no hope any more of having a Formula One race here (this year). We did everything in the last few years to keep the fans happy.”

Yesterday F1 Boss Berine Ecclestone told Reuters that Hockenheim was the only option for the July 19 race despite it being the Nuerburgring’s turn under an alternation agreement.

 

Schumacher most wealthiest

Wealth-X research says that seven time world champion Michael Schumacher remains the sport’s most  richest driver of all time.

Schumacher topped the list with an estimated net worth of $780m (£528m, €740m). Schumacher’s wealth represents 43% of the combined net worth of all 10 men on the list.

Spanish driver Fernando Alonso was second with an estimated fortune of $220m, followed by Finnish Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen at $180m. While current World Champion Lewis Hamilton was fifth but there has been reports he has been trying to establish himself as the sport’s top earner.

Jack

Jack is responsible for the day-to-day running of Formula One Vault. He brings you all the brilliant content. Has an obsession with all things Formula One and anything with an engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.