F1 Today – 16/03/2016

F1 Today

Renault livery launch

Renault has launched their official 2016 livery ahead of this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix. The event was on Monday and there classic yellow livery was shown off.

The drivers Jolyon Palmer and Kevin Magnussen appeared with giant surf boards and shorts. The team are returning as a works team  following a six years away from the sport.

Palmer told the media “We will be standing out, and hopefully we will be having a lot of action, I think it looks good, I like it and it is back to being proper Renault with the yellow.”

“What makes it surreal for me is I remember cheering Alonso on to his first title,’ added Palmer.

He says he is excited for his debut this weekend and doesn’t feel under pressure and he is looking forward to giving it his best in Melbourne.

 

Fully prepared for 2017 debut

Stoffel Vandoorne should be full prepared to make his F1 debut in 2017 should a seat next year if one becomes available according to team Principal Ron Dennis.

The Belgian has been a member of the McLaren Young Driver Programme for just over three years and last season secured the GP2 championship in some style. However there was no place for him in the team this season.

Speaking to F1.com Dennis said “He has always been intelligent, but to that intelligence he has recently added a level of wisdom unusual in one so young.”

“And he is as physically fit as any racing driver in any race series in the world, including Formula One.” He says they have carefully mapped out his pathway to F1 and they expect  him to be ready in 2017.

But he wouldn’t reveal if there would be race seat in 2017 and says he is more than happy with their current line-up of Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button.

 

Stalling manufacturers

Franz Tost has accused engine manufacturers of stalling for time with regard to the introduction of future power unit regulations.

Both FIA president Jean Todt and F1 boss Berine Ecclestone have treated the manufactures Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda that they would introduce a independent supplier if they didn’t  address costs, supply, performance and noise.

There has been plans for a cap of €12 million (£943,093,4 million) cap on supply of engines. Talks are ongoing when he was asked about progress he told Autosport “”They play it quite clever. They play the time card, and the longer we discuss, the less solutions we will come up with.”

“we missed in those days was saying, ‘OK, if manufacturers are in Formula 1, if they come up with this new technology, which is technology for the future, then they should also pay for the possibility to present something all over the world, as a marketing tool’.”

 

It will boil over – Wolff

Toto Wolff believes the relationship between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg will boil over this year.

Hamilton and Rosberg’s relationship is entering its fourth season with the pair once again going head to head. Over the past two seasons Hamilton has been the teams unofficial leader sealing both championships but it has caused friction between the two.

The lowest point was Spa in 2014 when the pair collided which Wolff thought was unacceptable and unbearable.

He told The Guardian “Since then we’ve won two double world championships, and I’ve learned that controversy is an important narrative for the team, and for Formula One. So we’re letting controversy happen.”

“It will get nasty again. We are going to have some interesting moments on the track. But this time I am not trying to control and contain it. We accept that they’re rivals, competing for a drivers’ world championship.”

He says they will only act if it causes a adverse effect on the team.

 

Selfie investigation

Lewis Hamilton has been investigated by New Zealand Police for taking a selfie while driving a motorbike. The 31-year old posted the picture on Snapchat while on the motorway.

In New Zealand it is illegal to use phones whilst driving in New Zealand. Police reviewed the incident but will not be taking further action after citing a lack of “sufficient evidence”.

“Auckland City Police will be taking no further action in relation to recent media publicity about Lewis Hamilton and his motorcycle journey in Auckland,” a police spokesperson said.

“The video footage available does not provide us with sufficient enough evidence that an offence has occurred.”

Its not the first time that he has been investigated for driving offences he was banned from driving for speeding in 2007, he was fined £300 for doing stunts in Albert Park in 2010 and crashed his £1.6m super car in Monaco because “heavy partying” had left him tired last November.

Jack

Jack is responsible for the day-to-day running of Formula One Vault. He brings you all the brilliant content. Has an obsession with all things Formula One and anything with an engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.