Another US team
Two US businessmen and a investment group are trying to buy a Formula One team according to Motorsports.com if the deal was to go ahead it would mean two US Teams will be on the grid next year.
The deal is headed by James Carney and Austin businessman Tavo Hellmund who was behind the successful bid to bring the race to Texas. Recently Hellmund has been involved in the return of Mexico in November. Both men have not commented on the report.
A spokesperson for Carney’s confirmed there was interest, though declined to say which team the consortium was focused on. The team most likely is believed to be Manor which was recused by Irish businessman Stephen Fitzpatrick, founder of Ovo Energy.
Very difficult to win championship – Bottas
Valtteri Bottas says it would be “very difficult” for him to win a world championship with Williams if he stays with the team in the next few years.
The Fin is currently favourite to replace Kimi Raikkonen if he doesn’t say with Ferrari. Bottas could leave the team before his contract with Williams ends next season. Williams were ahead of Ferrari during the British Grand Prix.
He says there is no reason that Williams can’t win a championship again but he admits it will be very difficult at the moment. He told F1i “There are teams with much bigger budgets as everyone knows. Mercedes is dominating, now Ferrari are a bit ahead of us at the moment so it’s not easy at the moment, but I’m not going to say it’s impossible.”
He added that things can change quickly and if there are opportunities sometimes maybe you need to go for it.
Future not safe
Jenson Button says he future is not safe with McLaren even thou team boss Ron Denis said at the British Grand Prix that he “Jenson has a two-year contract with McLaren. We are not even thinking about other drivers at the moment.”
Button said “It is not a given, no – there are always options everywhere.”
He is believed to have a two year contract with an years option which could see him keep his seat until 2017. He says they are not thinking about next year should they keep him it will be his 17th season.
German GP will return – Wolff
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says the German Grand Prix will return to the calendar next year after being dropped because of financial difficulties. The race was due to take place this weekend.
Last week when the provisional calendar was released but there is no guarantee that the race will take place until the organisers pay the £14 million race hosting fee. Wolff told The Independent “We will be in Germany next year. The race is 100 per cent going to happen. The budget is there, it is a fact.”
He added “Bernie, Mercedes and the organisers in Hockenheim tried to help [fund it] but we couldn’t come up with the budget.
Attendances to the race has fallen in recent years and the Nurburgring is currently in £240m of debt after building a shopping centre, hotel and amusement park.
We will have a Special Report on what went wrong on Saturday.