Sainz joins Ferrari alongside Leclerc
Ferrari has announced that Carlos Sainz will replace Sebastian Vettel at the team for the 2021 season. On Tuesday, it was announced that the German would leave the team at the end of the year and the team has moved to sign the Spaniard as his replacement for Vettel, alongside Charles Leclerc
Sainz said, “I am very happy that I will be driving for Scuderia Ferrari in 2021 and I’m excited about my future with the team. I still have an important year ahead with McLaren Racing and I’m really looking forward to going racing again with them this season.”
Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto, “I’m pleased to announce that Carlos will join Scuderia Ferrari as from the 2021 championship. With five seasons already behind him, Carlos has proved to be very talented and has shown that he has the technical ability and the right attributes to make him an ideal fit with our family.”
Binotto says that it was a new cycle with the aim of getting back to the top of F1, but it not going to be without its difficulties. Adding “We believe that a driver pairing with the talent and personality of Charles and Carlos, the youngest in the past fifty years of the Scuderia, will be the best possible combination to help us reach the goals we have set ourselves.”
McLaren, meanwhile, has appointed Daniel Ricciardo to replace Sainz next season.
Sainz was one of the stars of 2019, he finished sixth in the championship for McLaren, scoring the team’s first podium in almost six years at the Brazilian Grand Prix. A surprise given his replacement booted him out of Renault in a surprise move away from Red Bull.
Sainz appeared to flourish at McLaren, a close relationship off-track with rookie teammate Lando Norris and was able to lead the team on-track as it recorded its best constructors’ championship finish since 2012.
Ricciardo joins McLaren
Daniel Ricciardo has been announced as Carlos Sainz’s replacement at Ferrari. McLaren confirmed on Thursday that Ricciardo would be joining at the end of the year.
The deal will see seven-time Grand Prix winner leave Renault, where he has raced for the last two seasons following his departure from Red Bull.
McLaren has been interested in the Australian for last year when he weighed up his future in 2018. However, Ricciardo ultimately decided to sign for Renault, who finished behind McLaren in the constructors’ championship last year.
Lando Norris has also been confirmed as staying at McLaren to partner Ricciardo.
“Signing Daniel is another step forward in our long-term plan and will bring an exciting new dimension to the team, alongside Lando. This is good news for our team, partners and of course our fans,” said McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown.
Team principal Andreas Seidl said, “Daniel is a proven race winner and his experience, commitment and energy will be a valuable addition to McLaren and our mission to return to the front of the field. Daniel and Lando as teammates, I believe we have two racers who will continue to excite our fans and help the team grow.”
McLaren had already been in talks with Sainz over a new contract after his impressive display for the team last year, only for Ferrari to swoop for the Spaniard once Vettel’s exit was confirmed.
For Renault, it asks serious questions about the five-year plan to return to the front of the sport, after the team failed to bridge the gap to the leading three teams as hoped through 2019.
Renault is yet to indicate who will replace Ricciardo at the team, but it now holds one of the highest-profile open seats in F1 for next year.
Renault boss calls for “unity and commitment”
Renault’s F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul has stressed the importance of “unity and commitment” after confirming Daniel Ricciardo’s departure from the team at the end of the season.
Ricciardo will leave Renault after two years replacing the man he replaced at Renault after Carlos Sainz announced he was moving to Ferrari replacing Sebastian Vettel. The news was initially confirmed by McLaren on Thursday morning before Renault issued a statement soon after.
The statement said, “Within the unprecedented context of the 2020 season, discussions held with Daniel Ricciardo concerning a renewal of his contract beyond the end of 2020 have not been successful,” read.
Abiteboul made no reference to Ricciardo in his quote with the announcement, instead of moving to highlight the value of loyalty for the team moving forward.
Saying, “In our sport, and particularly within the current extraordinary situation, reciprocated confidence, unity and commitment are, more than ever, critical values for a works team. I am confident that the 2020 season will allow us to accomplish even more together.”
Ricciardo joined Renault in a shock move to lead the manufacturer back to the front of the sport, however, the regulation changes they were hoping for next year to mount a challenge into the top three have been hindered by the delay due to Coronavirus.
Ricciardo endured a difficult first season at Renault as the team failed to retain its position at the front of the midfield, let alone cut the gap to the leading three teams as it had hoped to. The team dropped behind McLaren to fifth in the constructors’ championship.
That has led to concerns about the long-term potential of the Renault project, but the French manufacturer remained committed to continuing with Ricciardo beyond 2020.
But with the market moving quickly after Vettel’s Ferrari exit was decided, Ricciardo was snapped up by McLaren to partner Lando Norris from 2021 on a multi-year deal.
Ricciardo wrote on Twitter, “I am so grateful for my time with Renault and the way I was accepted into the team. But we aren’t done and I can’t wait to get back on the grid this year. My next chapter isn’t here yet, so let’s finish this one strong. Merci.”
Renault will now be linked to Vettel and Fernando Alonso, however, Abiteboul recently talked up the possibility of one of Renault’s academy drivers moving into F1, a goal it had publicly targeted for the 2021 season.
Provisional calendar released
The Australian, Dutch, Canadian and Singapore Grand Prix’s look to be formally cancelled according to the provisional 2020 calendar. sources we believe that the following represents the current “ideal” scenario as far as, although it includes nineteen dates four could drop off.
All venues are in talks with Liberty, with some tracks expecting to be paid for behind closed doors races, while in other cases – primarily the flyaway races – the promoters are still expected to pay at least part of the original fee.
F1 is also in talks on commercial terms with all venues, with some tracks expecting to be paid for behind closed doors races, while in other cases – primarily the flyaway races, the promoters are still expected to pay at least part of the original fee.
Meanwhile, the German Grand Prix could replace one or both the races at Silverstone if an agreement can’t be reached between the BRDC and Liberty.
Although there has been no official confirmation, a Dutch GP source told Motorsport.com: “So far it looks like our 2020 race will be postponed to 2021, hopefully when there is a vaccine and business as the ‘new’ usual.”
The season will come to a close with a triple header in Bahrain which will hold two races and Abu Dhabi on 11 – 13 December.
Sunday Times Rich List
Lewis Hamilton has been named the most affluent active sports star in Rich List history with a £224m fortune, according to the latest annual figures in this years Sunday Times Rich List.
The six-times champions wealth rose by £37m over the past year, thanks to a lucrative ongoing contract with Mercedes, taking him past the £200m mark boosted by footballer David Beckham at the time of his retirement in 2013.
Schumacher most influential person
A poll by Formula One has named seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher has been named the most influential person in Formula One history after a vote by fans. The result was announced on Wednesday which marked the 70th anniversary of the first Grand Prix.
The German has not been seen in public since he suffered serious head injuries in a ski accident in 2013, beat F1 chairman emeritus Bernie Ecclestone with 61% of the vote in a head-to-head final.
The German holds the record for titles and race wins at ninety, although six-time champion Lewis Hamilton is threatening to take both with eighty-four at present.
The thirty-two were named shortlist, divided into four categories of drivers, team bosses, technical innovators and game-changers. Formula One said thousands of fans had participated but did not give details.