F1 Today – 12/11/2015

F1 Today

Unfortunate the season nearing end – Alonso

Fernando Alonso says it’s unfortunate that the 2015 season is coming to an end as McLaren recent upgrades have taken the team in the right direction.

The team introduced an upgrade n Austin which pleased both the Spaniard and his team-mate Jenson button after the step in performance by the Honda power unit. Alonso told Autosport “In Austin, and definitely in Mexico, the car was going in the right direction.”

He added that aerodynamic improvements introduced in Austin is delivering what we expected. He said “Unfortunately the season is going to end, but we have a positive trend with the package, and hopefully this trend will continue over the winter without testing or racing.”

The Spanish drive said the signs of bigger improvement will only become clear after dyno testing. He said “The recent races show us some of the potential we are unlocking for next year.  it’s a question mark because some of the improvements we are hoping for are just on paper now.”

He added the improvements will not be fully known until pre-season testing while Jenson Button added the pain this year should pay off in 2016.

 

Good step forward in 2016 – Vettel

Sebastian Vettel says that Ferrari should be able to make “a good step forward” next season. The Italian team this season have been the closes challengers to world champions Mercedes with Vettel winning three races and the only non-Mercedes driver to do so.

He told the German media “it’s always difficult to predict what’s going to happen but surely it is our target”

Adding “I can see what’s happening in the background, the work that has gone into this year, the work that is going into next year back in the factory, back in Maranello with all the people.” Ferrari this season have managed to close the gap to Mercedes.

Recently Mercedes non-executive chairman and a triple world champion Niki Lauda said his former team could match them for power but not in terms of chassis or aerodynamics.

“Well, as a fact we are not yet a match otherwise this season would have been very different,” said Vettel. Vettel added he is very happy with the season and the progress they had made.

 

News–In–Brief  

  • Hamilton RTC – Lewis Hamilton was involved in a road accident on Monday. The 30- year old says he made “very light contact”  with the vehicle. He said it was one the reasons he delayed his fight to Sau Paulo but says he is feeling better and is on his way to Brazil.
  • Grandad Prost – Four times world champion Alain Prost has become a grandfather after his son Nico, tweeted an image of him holding his son with the tweet “happiest moment of my life, welcome little boy!”
  • Red Bull Future – as we reported earlier this week Red Bull are set to stay with Renault engines which will be according to German Sport Bild will be branded as Infiniti engines.

 

Clarity on way forward – Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo believes the upgraded Renault power unit this weekend will provide Red Bull “clarity” on their way forward. Renault have brought an upgraded power unit for this weekends Brazilian Grand Prix.

The upgrade is only expected to bring around .15 second improvement in lap time.  But he says “Renault said it’s not going to give me a whole lot of laptime, between a tenth and two, so if they say between one and two tenths, it’s probably more like a tenth.

He told Autosport “But I’m curious to know more about the driveability, if there’s something from it, whether it picks up the throttle cleaner, if there’s something here which can be positive, and that maybe helps tyre wear or things during the race.”

However the Australian will have a ten -place grid penalty for the change of power unit at an Interlagos track not expected to suit the car. It will allow both Red Bull and Renault a chance to begin looking forward to next season. Riccardo said “it could give us an option, or some clarity on where we want to go”

 

Sainz close to new deal

Carlos Sainz has hinted he is set to close the deal to stay with Toro Rosso next season.  The teams future looks more certain after the team looks to be closing a deal for Ferrari power units next season.

When asked by Autosport whether he would be with Toro Rosso next season, Sainz said: “It’s not a 100 per cent but it should be…I’m not worried – let’s put it like that. This is my main focus, to stay with Toro Rosso.

Adding “It is what would make me most happy of all because I really believe in this team for next year. Putting [aside] the two issues we have had this year, which is the power and reliability, we can be in a really strong position.”

He says over the winter he will be reflexing and looking at how he can improve going into 2014. Saying  “I can analyse how do I do things, what I need to improve and what do I need to keep. I can put all the pieces together and build up myself to the 2016 season, which will be an important one.”

 

Stevens to remain at Manor

Will Stevens says he is not worried about his future in F1 and is confident he will remain with Manor. The team who will switch to Mercedes power next year are the only team yet to announce their driver line-up for 2016.

The Englishman told The Daily Mail “’If it was not looking good, or I was worried about the situation then I would look at other options but right now we are not looking at anything else

Adding “As far as next year is concerned, things are moving in the right direction. it takes time but hopefully, everything will get sorted in the near future.”

He said there was no time frame for the announcement but everyone wants it done as soon as possible.

Jack

Jack is responsible for the day-to-day running of Formula One Vault. He brings you all the brilliant content. Has an obsession with all things Formula One and anything with an engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.