F1 Today – 09/03/2016

F1 Today

Missed opportunity – Horner

Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner believes the sport is missing a opportunity to sort the men from the boys with the 2017 regulations. Horner was egger to back the changes which could allow cars to go six seconds faster.

The changes will be voted on by the World Motor Sport Council in Geneva on Friday, the plans to be put in place by April 30. These could improve cars by up to four seconds a lap.

Speaking to Autosport Horner said there are a few things to tidy up. “From a sport point of view, to come up with a car that is a real challenge for the drivers, that sorts the men out from the boys, to see them earning their money, is something truly spectacular, is something everybody wants to see.

He added “The initial concept was tabled a year and a half ago by us to be more aggressive with the cars, to go back to basics with what a grand prix car should look like.” However he says while the sport

 

Could spend third season – Verstappen

Max Verstappen says he could spend a third season with Toro Rosso but says he “wants to go forward” with his Formula 1 career. If the 18-year old spends a third full season with the team he will be the team’s longest serving driver.

Verstappen impressed and rocked F1 when he made his debut last year and has been on the radar of not only sister team Red Bull but other big teams. Speaking to Motorsport.com he said “I want to go forward. I mean, it’s a great thing [being at Toro Rosso] – I have a lot of fun and it’s a great family.

“But at one point you want to win races and you want to go forward and you want to go to the top of the top.” He added he feels no pressure from being a member of the Red Bull Young Driver Programme.

He says “The future looks very positive, for next year as well,” he said. “I’m just enjoying this season, trying to gain a lot of experience and we’ll see where we end up next year.”

Ferrari has been interested in him but Verstappen said reflecting on the rumours and his on-track success he said “Yeah, and it’s good that other people see it that way.”

 

News – In – Brief

  • Wolff Sells remaining shares – Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has confirmed that he has sold his remaining stake in Williams with his shares being purchased by US healthcare executive Brad Hollinger. It was part of a deal with the German car giant two years ago to allow him to become boss of the Mercedes team
  • Rossi remains at Manor – Alexander Rossi will remain with Manor despite losing his race seat to Rio Haryanto. He will combine the role with driving for IndyCar deal Andretti Autosport.

 

We can be third – Marko

Red Bull consultant Helmut Marko says he believes the drinks manufacturers main Red Bull team can finish third despite not having a front running power unit.

Marko says he believes the teams TAG Heuer Renault engine will not allow the team to challenge Mercedes in the early part of the season but belives they will beat them towards the end of the season.

Speaking to Formula1.com he said “For the first half of the season I see Mercedes doing one-two finishes as long as they do not screw-up, then I see Ferrari and a tight fight between Williams, Force India, Toro Rosso and Red Bull Racing behind them.”

He said in the first half also that Toro Rosso could lead the way over the senior team. But Toro Rosso’s performance will probably drop in the mid part of the season as they cannot develop the 2015 engine.

 

Disappointing about Audi

Claire Williams says it disappointing that Audi has decided not to enter Formula One. It comes after the chairman of parent company Volkswagen dismissing F1’s sporting and political situation as “not predictable enough” to justify any of his brands entering.

Speaking to Autosport Ms Williams said it was disappointing that the German car giant has not entered. Audi say the board there focus on electric and hybrid technology was better served in the World Endurance Championship.

“This is a sport where we would like to have the likes of Audi in it. But they have other motorsport commitments. If F1 isn’t for them, it’s not for them. People have been trying to get Audi into F1 for decades and they haven’t changed their position.” She said

Ms Williams said she thinks you can’t blame the political landscape of our sport but is sure there are other factors at play too. She added the sport is lucky that it has   four of the world’s biggest manufacturers (Ferrari, Daimler/Mercedes, Renault and Honda).

But says the sport needs works teams and the independent teams.

 

United States GP to go ahead

Organisers of the United States Grand Prix will go ahead after reports that the race could be cancelled. Last year the circuit made a lost after Hurricane Patricia caused major disruption leading losses.

There were fears that the circuit could pull out because of financial difficulties but the circuit has managed to pay the race fee for 2016. Last year the race was disrupted through-out by Hurricane Patricia and the government subsidiary was cut.

President of the circuit Bobby Epstein has also announced that  Taylor Swift will be one of the headliners.

Jack

Jack is responsible for the day-to-day running of Formula One Vault. He brings you all the brilliant content. Has an obsession with all things Formula One and anything with an engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.