Manor season starts now
Manor’s Team Principal John Booth says the team will only start showing their true potential at this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix. The team had a difficult start in the early part of the year as they focused on survival after going into administration last year.
Manor is hoping after getting both cars to the finish in Bahrain are hoping for a big step forward. Booth told Autosport “The first two months of the year and six weeks leading up to Melbourne, nothing else came on the radar apart from getting onto the grid.”
“The team were all working hard back at the factory and there was no room for anything else.” The team is currently using a modified 2014 and its 2015 car will not be ready until the summer.
Alonso may never win again
Fernando Alonso former team-mate Jarno Trulli has told the BBC that the Spaniard may never win another Grand Prix. Alonso’s season has been difficult after a McLaren switched to Honda engines.
Trulli told BBC News “I wonder if he might win another race or championship. McLaren won’t get on top of the problems quickly and won’t easily catch up with the teams in front next year.”
Alonso missed the first race after he crashed during pre season testing and retired from the Malaysian GP his first for the team. However he finished 12th in China and 11th in Bahrain.
Truilli added “Anything can happen, but I am concerned. Fernando’s situation is not ideal to win. I hope I am wrong. McLaren is a good team but they are fighting with Ferrari and Mercedes, who are manufacturers, and that makes a big difference.”
Caught out by Ferrari – Claire Williams
Claire Williams says the team has been caught out by Ferraris changing fortunes this season. Williams was the second strongest team behind Mercedes, enjoying four podium places in the final four Grand Prix’s.
But this season has dropped back to third as Ferrari improved to be the nearest challenger to Mercedes. She told Autosport “We came into the season, off the back of where we finished last season, with higher expectations, albeit based on where we thought everyone else would be as well.”
The team has provided some great track action over the past few years following a period of decline in the 2000’s. She says it will always be difficult to stay ahead because they don’t have the budget of the big teams.
Haas drivers in place by September
Hass has said they hope to have their line-up for their debut next season confirmed by September. The team has already confirmed that they have a technical partnership with Ferrari but there is no ‘public’ date to announce their line-up for 2016.
Team principal Gunther Steiner told Autosport they are doing this because “The market is getting clearer and a lot of people are getting into contact with us now, because it’s both ways.”
He added the team is considering signing American drivers however signing someone with experience in F1 is its priority. American driver could be Alexander Rossi who currently races in GP but has F1 experience having completed Friday practice sessions for Caterham and Marussia.