Lewis Hamilton has set the pace on the third day of the final preseason test in Barcelona. The double world champion underlined that Mercedes remain the team to beat this season going 0.24 seconds faster than 2008 title rival Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen.
Hamilton will not drive the car until first practice in Melbourne told the BBC that the track appeared to lose grip but says he feels good in the car. Meanwhile for McLaren it was another difficult day with Kevin Magnusson only managing 38 laps in the morning with an oil leak in the engine ended the team’s day shortly after lunch.
Magnusson later tweeted “Great to be back in the car today. The #McLarenHonda feels great! Plenty more to come from this one. Thanks for all the support today guys!”
Meanwhile McLaren racing director says the team will not be more competitive until teams return to Barcelona for the Spanish Grand Prix in May.
In the final hour of the days test two red flags halted proceedings after Marcus Ericsson’s Sauber and then Sainz’s Toro Rosso both stopped at turn three.
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:23.022 (76)
- Felipe Massa (Williams) 1:23.262 (102)
- Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:23.276 (136)
- Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso) 1:24.191 (132)
- Romain Grosjean (Lotus) 1:24.200 (116)
- Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) 1:24.477 (123)
- Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) 1:24.939 (158)
- Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) 1:25.225 (39)
- Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:25.742 (128)