Sebastian Vettel was fastest on the second day of pre-season testing at the Circuit de Catalynua – Barcelona. However the Ferrari brought out the red flag in the closing moments.
The German set his fastest lap on the new ultra-soft tyres during the morning session. Vettels former team-mate Daniel Riccardo was second ahead of Force India’s Sergio Perez who set his fastest time on the super-soft tyres. Vettel’s lap time was two seconds faster than pole last season.
Vettel told Sky Sports “The car is a step forward, so that is positive, and the power unit has improved. We know there are areas we still need to improve but overall I am happy.”
Nico Rosberg had been second during the morning sesson but Sergio Perez jumped above him later in the day. Like his team-mate yesterday Rosberg led the way on millage completing 38 more than Sergio Perez. While Vettel completed 126 laps.
The McLaren sounded loader on track with the acceleration noise being a lot louder and clearer. Most drivers managed to complete over a 100 laps with Fernando Alonso completing more laps in one day than the whole of last year’s testing.
Alonso said “It was a positive day. In winter testing the first thing to do is understand the package. There are innovative parts in our chassis and power unit and they need time to mature and become stronger.”
McLaren have improved their reliability but the overriding question is the competitiveness of the Honda power unit.
Six out of the ten drivers completed more than 100 laps. Manor also showed improvements in the lap time compared to their fastest qualifying time at the Spanish Grand Prix last year, going over five seconds faster.
Apart from Vettel the only other stoppages came from Max Verstappen who stopped in the morning and Jolyon Plamer whose day was brought to a smoky end.
Marcus Ericsson was ahead of Romain Grosjeaan. The Haas driver suffered a front wing failure.
Lap times on day two
- Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, ultrasoft tyres, 1:22.810, 126 laps
2. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, ultrasoft tyres, 1:23.525, 112 laps
3. Sergio Perez, Force India, supersoft tyres, 1:23.650, 101 laps;
4. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, medium tyres, 1:24.867, 172 laps;
5. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, soft tyres, 1:25.237, 108 laps
6. Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, soft tyres, 1:25.524, 79 laps
7. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, soft tyres, 1:25.648, medium tyres, 134 laps
8. Pascal Wehrlein, Manor, soft tyres, 1:25.925, 71 laps
9. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, soft tyres, 1:26.082, 119 laps
10. Jolyon Palmer, Renault, soft tyres, 1:26.189, 42 laps
11. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, soft tyres, 1:26.755, 121 laps.