Vatteri Bottas was fastest on the final day of pre-season testing in Barcelona. The Williams driver was 0.406 faster than the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel on the super soft tyres.
Sauber’s Felipe Nasr also managed to get his car within a second of the Fins fastest lap. Bottas, Vettel and Nasr’s best laps were all set on the faster super soft tyres. It was another difficult day for McLaren because of a problem with the engine which had to be removed.
Sergio Perez managed to break 100 laps barrier for the first time for Force India. Daniel Ricciardo had delays in the morning after ERS problems forced him to grind to a halt at the end of the pit lane.
Pastor Maldonado had a light crash at Turn Four just caused by a “braking-related issue” which meant Maldonado could not slow down enough for the corner. The red flags also came out for Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo and Torro Rosso’s Max Verstappen after they both stopped on circuit.
Teams now shift their focus to the season opener which begins in ten days’ time in Melbourne. But with the fastest lap times of the test Mercedes still look like the team to beat this season.
- Valtteri Bottas (Williams) 1:23.063 (89 laps)
- Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) 1:23.469 (129)
- Felipe Nasr (Sauber) 1:24.023 (159)
- Max Verstappen (Toro Rosso) 1:24.527 (85)
- Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:24.638 (72)
- Sergio Perez (Force India) 1:25.113 (130)
- Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:25.186 (148)
- Jenson Button (McLaren) 1:25.327 (30)
- Pastor Maldonado (Lotus)